Knowledge Base & Community Wiki
The Data Management Workflow
Introduction – Visualization, Modelling & Forecasting has traditionally been a black art requiring access to specialized tools that cost an arm and a leg. But even if you had access to such specialized tools, next would come the understanding required of the various modelling techniques to be able to use the tools effectively. Having experienced that pain ourselves numerous times in our own professional lives we decided to build capability that would relieve some of that pain by making Visualization, Modelling and Forecasting a lot simpler that it currently is.
As part of the approach to simplify understanding of the modelling capability we are building a flowchart based approach to help you navigate your way around the Visualization, Modelling and Forecasting capability we have built into VisualizeIT. The intention of the flow based approach to Visualization, Modelling and Forecasting is to provide a guided pathway to helping you achieve your objectives without having to worry about the sequence of tasks to be performed. The guided approach however might not work for those who are familiar with the use of statistical models and have extensive experience performing Visualization, Modelling & Forecasting using the statistical modelling techniques part of VisualizeIT.
What Is Data Management from a VisualizeIT standpoint – The Data Management functionality within VisualizeIT provides users the capability to upload data into the system for purposes of visualization, modelling and forecasting. VisualizeIT offers modelling capability in three main areas which are –
- Analytical or Mathematical Modelling
- Statistical Modelling
- Simulation Modelling
The Data Management capability within VisualizeIT is aimed at giving users the capability to upload empirical data for use with the Statistical Models. VisualizeIT currently support the upload of Time Series data in various input data file (CSV) formats. A list of the various supported data formats can be found here – Supported Input Time Series Data Formats.
The Data Management Workflow – To help users navigate the solution we have put together a simple workflow based approach. This workflow based approach for Data Management will allow you to navigate through all the Data Management capability in VisualizeIT and not to worry about remembering the relevant steps involved (at-least initially). Over a period of time as you find yourself getting familiar with the various concepts involved in the Data Management process you might no long need to use the Data Management workflow to upload data into the system for use with the various Statistical Models.
Key Data Management Concepts – The Data Management Workflow above is quite self explanatory. However, there are a few terms unique to VisualizeIT that we ought to explain i.e. Applications and Data Dimensions.
- Applications – Applications are logical entities within VisualizeIT which can be associated with multiple Data Dimensions within VisualizeIT. There are no limits on the number of Applications or the number of Data Dimensions one can create within a given Application. A user however cannot delete an Application when corresponding Data Dimensions exist for a given Application. A user also cannot delete an Application if data exists in a given Data Dimension which is associated with a given Application.
- Data Dimensions – Data Dimensions are logical entities within VisualizeIT which should be used to upload empirical data (Time Series) into the system for use with the Statistical Models. Data Dimensions are associated with only one Application. Data Dimensions also cannot be deleted as long as there exists data for a given Data Dimension. A list of the various supported data formats can be found here – Supported Input Time Series Data Formats.
Applications and Data Dimensions are the fundamental constructs within the Data Management capability in VisualizeIT. Data stored with a Data Dimension can be used for any of the following Statistical Models i.e.
- Time Series EDA (Exploratory Data Analysis)
- Line Plots
- Box Plots
- Time Series Decomposition
- Time Series Forecasting
- Time Series Regression
Modelling Solution: VisualizeIT offers access to a bunch of Analytical Models, Statistical Models and Simulation Models for purposes of Visualization, Modelling & Forecasting. Access to all the Analytical (Mathematical) models is free. We recommend you try out the Analytical models at VisualizeIT which are free to use and drop us a note with your suggestions, input and comments. You can access the VisualizeIT website here and the VisualizeIT modelling solution here –VisualizeIT.